All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
|Barley and Chicken Pilaf
- Nonfat cooking spray
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp tarragon
- 1/2 tsp celery seed
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups broccoli florets or asparagus pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray Dutch oven.
- Add onion and sauté until onion is limp.
- Add chicken breast and cook, stirring, until chicken is no longer
pink. Spray as needed.
- Add garlic, salt, pepper, basil, tarragon, and celery seed.
- Cook 1 minute. Add barley, spray, and cook, stirring, 2 minutes.
- Add boiling broth and bay leaf.
- Bring to boil, cover, and place in oven. Bake 30 minutes.
- Add vegetable, cover, and bake 15 minutes, or until all liquid has
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Stir in parsley.