All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
- 1 large chicken about 2 kgs skinned and cut into pieces
- 2 cups thick curd
- 1 teaspoon each garlic and ginger paste
- 1 large onion chopped
- 8 whole cardamoms
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon cloves
- 3 pieces cinnamon
- 2 or 3 green chillies chopped
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 1 large cup tomato puree or 2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
- 2 cups long grain or basmati rice.
- 2 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 2 cups hot water
- Heat oil in a heavy and large pot. when the oil is hot add onions
and whole spices.
- Stir fry for a few minutes, add ginger and garlic paste.
- Reduce here and add powdered spices, taking care not to burn.
- Add chopped tomatoes or tomato puree.
- When well mixed, add yoghurt and stir well.
- Add chicken pieces and the mint leaves and stir well so the yoghurt
masala coats the chicken well.
- Cook for 30 to 40 minutes on medium heat till the chicken is cooked.
(test by piercing a skewer on the chicken meat, if juices run clear,
then the chicken is cooked.)
- Now spoon about 2 tablespoons of fat /oil from the cooked chicken
mixture into another pot.
- Add 2 cups of the rice and salt to taste.
- Stir till the oil is coated around the grains of rice.
- Add half the chopped coriander leaves and one cup of gravy from the
chicken mixture and two cups of hot water.
- Cook on slow heat with the lid on till the rice is cooked.
- Add a little hot water if the rice is not yet cooked.
- To serve, place the rice in a large tray or platter.
- Spoon the chicken mixture on top.
- Sprinkle with the remaining coriander leaves.
- Fried nuts(cashew or almonds) and sultanas may be added. .