All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
|Traditional Goan Christmas Cake
- Cherries 250 gms
- Raisins 250 gms
- Ginger 250 gms
- Tuti-Fruiti 250 gms
- Dates 250 gms
- Peals (Apple, Orange) 250 gms
- Butter 1 1/2 Kg
- Sugar 1 1/2 Kg
- Flour 1 3/4 Kg
- Eggs 2 dozen
- Baking powder 3tps
- Vanilla essence 2 tps
- Salt 1 tps
- Cake masala - Shahi jeera 10 gms,1/2 nutmeg, cinnamon 10 gms , cardamom
- 100 gms sugar.
- Rum 1/4 bottle
- About one to six months in advance, stone the raisins and dates,
and cut these along with the other fruits and peels into small pieces.
- Soak all this in rum along with the cake masala and let it marinate
until it is time for baking which may be a couple of days before Christmas.
- Prepare the caramel: take100 gms.sugar, add 1/2 cup water and place
on the flame. When the sugar browns, go on adding a little water at
a time for two or three times, to get a dark brown colour. Take off
the fire and mix in the cake mixture
- Prepare the cake tray: Do this before mixing the batter. Grease the
base and sides of the tray with butter, then sprinkle and dust with
flour to cover the greased sides and base by holding the tray and turning
- Prepare the cake mix: Cream the butter and sugar till light and fluffy.
Separate the yolks from the whites of the eggs. Add one yolk at a time
to the butter-cream and whip till well blended. Beat the egg whites
stiff, and keep aside. Sieve the baking powder, salt and flour together.
Flour the fruit mixture slightly (to avoid sinking). Now add this to
the cake mixture. Gently fold in the flour, vanilla essence, and egg
whites. Now mix in the caramel. Add two tbsps of warm milk if necessary
to get a dropping consistency.
- Bake: Pour the mixture in the greased cake baking trays. Bake at
350 degrees F in a moderate oven for 1 hour or so. Test with a tester,
if it comes out clean, the cake is done. The above will give you three
kilograms of cake to make your family, friends, relatives and neighbours