All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
- Split Red Gram - 1 Cup
- Tomatoes - 4
- Onions - 2 Medium
- Ginger Paste - 1 tsp
- Garlic Crushed - 1 tsp
- Coconut Powder - 4 tsp
- Coriander Leaves - a fist full
- Curry Leaves - 10 to 15
- Okra - 4
- Brinjal - 3
- Green Chilli - 4
- Oil - 50 gms
- Mustard seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Cumin seeds - 1/2 tsp
- Asafoetida - 2 pinches
- Red Chilli Powder - 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric - 3/4 tsp
- Tamarind paste - 3 tsp
- Dry Red Chilli - 2
- Coriander Seeds - 3 tsp
- Cumin Seeds - 1 1/2 tsp
- Split Red Gram - 3/4 tsp
- Mix all above ingredients in a small skillet and fry until they turn
brown or they split.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- When cooled make into a fine powder and keep aside.
Serve hot with Idly, Dosa and plain white Rice.
- Cut all the vegetables i.e tomatoes, okras, brinjals, onions into
large pieces slightly larger than bite sized pieces. Keep aside.
- Pressure-cook the split red gram with enough water to become very
- In a large pot heat oil and add mustard and cumin seeds. When they
start to split, add green chilies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Immediately add 5 cups of water, vegetable pieces, tamarind paste,
turmeric, salt and red chili powder and on medium heat bring to a boil.
- Cook for 10 more minutes or until the vegetable pieces are soft.
- Now add the cooked red gram, stir well and cook for 10 more minutes.
- Now add sambar powder, ginger-garlic paste and coconut powder, coriander
leaves, one-tsp sugar, and stir well.
- Cook for 10 more minutes with low flame and cover.
- Remove from heat.