All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
- Ginger - a big piece
- tamarind - lime sized ball
- red chilli - 8-10 nos
- coriander seeds - 2 tbsp
- red gram dal - 1tbsp
- black pepper - 1tsp
- turmeric powder - 1/4 tsp
- salt - to taste
- mustard - to season
- sesame oil - 6 tbsp
- asafoetida - a small piece
- Wash, peel & chop the ginger into small pieces.
- Soak tamarind in water, boil if necessary and extract the puree.
- Fry the red chilli, coriander seeds, red gram dal, black pepper and
half the quantity of ginger in oil.
- Grind the fried ingredients to a fine paste.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on the range and add oil.
- When oil is heated, add mustard, asafoetida and the remaining ginger
and fry well.
- Add tamarind puree, turmeric powder, salt and mix well.
- When the mixture starts boiling, add the prepared paste and mix well.
- Allow to simmer till the mixture attains a thick - gravy consistency
or till it reduces to one-third its original quantity.
- Remove from fire, add 2 tbsp of oil and serve with rice.