All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
- 2 cup maida
- 1 tsp oil
- A pinch of salt
- 1 coconut, grated finely
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp nuts and raisins, sliced
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds, roasted
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix flour, oil, salt and make a stiff dough by adding water as necessary.
- Boil 1 cup water, add sugar and make a thick syrup. Add coconut and
cook over a low flame stirring frequently till mixture thickens further.
Add poppy seeds, nuts, raisins, cardamom powder and cook till the mixture
is almost dry. Remove and cool.
- Divide the dough in small equal portions. Roll each portion into
a 10 cm diameter disc.
- Place a small portion of coconut mixture in the centre of the disc
and fold on half of the disc over the other half to cover the mixture.
- Press the edges of the upper and lower halves together, applying
a little milk, if necessary. Press to seal them. Prepare for all portions.
- Flute the edges or cut with a decorative cutter.
- Heat oil and deep fry each karanji till crisp.
- Remove, drain and cool. Store in airtight jars.