All Recipe Master
Submit a Recipe
- 1 cup moong dal
- 1 finely chopped onion (divide chopped onion into 2 parts)
- 1 1/2 large tomatoes
- 5 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 inch ginger root
- 1/4 tspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 tspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 tspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 tspoon garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Soak Moong dal in 1 cup water for atleast 2 hours. Then drain the
water and grind it in the Mixer/grinder into a thick paste.
- Mix 1/2 of the chopped onions and very little salt (1/2 tspoon) to
the dal paste.
- Heat oil in a Kadai or pan and make small round vadas of the paste
and drop them in the heated oil.
- Deep fry them till they are golden brown. Do not over fry. Keep them
Serve with either rice or chapaties.
- Heat the oil (about 2 tablespoons) in a pan and add cumin seeds in
it. Wait till they splutter and then add the other half of chopped onions
in it. Saute the onions till golden brown or soft.
- Grind Tomatoes, garlic and ginger in the mixer/grinder. Then add
this paste to the golden brown onions.
- Add salt, Turmeric powder, corriander powder, garam masala to the
pan and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Once the tomato paste and spices are cooked add 1 1/2 cup of water
to it and bring it to a boil.
- Dip the moong vada in the gravy and cook for another 5 -10 min.