In the heart of the old city is former royal residence built in
a blend of the Rajasthani and Mughal styles. The carved arches are
supported by grey-white marble columns ornate with floral motifs
in gold and colored stones. Two carved elephants in marble guard
the entrance. The retainers whose families have served generations
of rulers serve as guides. The palace houses a museum with a superb
collection of Rajasthani costumes and armory of Mughals and Rajputs
including swords of different shapes and sizes with chased handles,
some of them inlaid with enamel and embellished with jewels and
encased in magnificent scabbards. The palace also has an art gallery
with an excellent collection of miniature paintings, carpets, royal
paraphernalia and rare astronomical works in Arabic,Persian,Latin
and Sanskrit, acquired by Sawai Jai Singh II to study astronomy
Built in 1799 A.D. the Hawa Mahal or Palace of Winds is a major
Rajput landmark. This five storey building along the main street
of the old city is in pink splendor with semioctagonal and delicately
honey combed sandstone windows. The monument was originally conceived
with the aim of enabling ladies of the royal household to watch
the everyday life and royal processions of the city.
This palace is the only 20th century palace,and it was build under
the famine relief project that gave employment to famine struck
population. It took 16 whole year to get this palace completed.
This palace is made out of a particular type of sandstone which
does not weather away. It is still the residence of the former rulers
, but a part of palace has been converted into a hotel and some
remaining part serves as a museum.
This beautiful Haveli of Devta Shridharji,which is located in the
middle of the busy market is noted for its splendid frescoes and
rooms decorated with lovely wall paintings.
It is a palace on an island in the Pinchola lake. Its construction
was started by Maharana Karan Singh, it gets it name from Maharana
Jagat Singh who made several additions to the palace structure in
1757. Formerly the royal summer palace, today it is the ultimate
in luxury hotels, with shady courtyards, fountains, lotus ponds
and even a small mango-tree-shaded swimming pool. Hotel launches
cross to the island from the city palace jetty. The principal building
has three storeys and a round tower of yellow sandstones. Towards
the southern end of the lake is Jag Mandir. Emperor Shah Jahan sought
refuge here while planning a revolt against his father. It is said
that Shah Jahan got ideas for the Taj Mahal after he stayed here.
The Maharana's palace built by successive rulers runs parellel to
Lake Pichola. It is the largest palace complex in Rajasthan. The
palace is a collection of buildings constructed by different Maharaja's
during their reign,but inspite of that the whole complex has retained
uniformity in design. The palace has octagonal towers surrounded
by cupolas and inside the apartment there are mosaics of peacocks
inlaid with tiles and mirrorwork and exquisite paintings. This part
of the palace has been converted into a museum.The place where one
sees these peacock mosaics is called the 'Mor Chowk'. Of the various
Mahals, the Chini Mahal is covered with blue and white Chinese and
Dutch ornamented tiles, while the Manak Mahal is full of glass and
porcelain figures. The manak or Ruby Mahal has glass and porcelain
figures while Krishna Vilas has a remarkable collection of miniatures.
The Bari Mahal houses a fine central garden. In the Zanana Mahal,one
can see nice paintings. The Moti Mahal has beautiful mirrorwork.
Palace or Vinay Vilas Mahal
This 18th century palace beautifully blends the Rajput and Mughal
styles of architecture. Altough the ground floors have been converted
into government offices and district courts, the upper apartment
is maintained as a museum.
This splendid palace is just 10 kms from Alwar.It was built by Maharaja
Jai Singh in 1918 A.D.It has a picturesque lake overlooking the
palace which makes it a nice place to be. There is a nice Sita Ram
Temple in the palace which attracts number of devotees,especially
during Ramnavmi. But one needs to take prior permission from the
secretary to visit the palace.
About three km north of the city centre, this red sandstone palace
was built by Maharaja Ganga Singh (1881-1942) in memory of his father
Maharaja Lal Singh and displays a magnificent blend of Oriental
and European style. Itís a grand building with overhanging balconies
and delicate latticework. Its terraced lawns and the Bougainvillea
bushes add beauty to the palace. Peacocks stroll around the palace
which has been partly converted into a hotel. The palace museum,
Shri Sadul Museum covers the entire first floor of the palace. It
has an assortment of exhibits, including personal possessions of
former Bikaner rulers, old photos depicting royal hunts, and an
extraordinary collection of the former maharajaís personal possessions
- golf tees, camera, clothes, books, earplugs and even his electric
toothbrush. The library of the palace is supposed to have the largest
collection of original Sanskrit manuscripts on parchments, copper
and gold or silver plaques. The palace museum also displays well
preserved hunting trophies and old photographs. The museum is open
daily except Wednesdays from 10 am to 5 pm; entry is Rs.5. Photography
is not allowed.
The beautiful mansions or havelis,all intricately latticed which
are all over Jaisalmer, are open to visitors from 10.30 a.m to 5.00
is a 19th century haveli. The left and right wings of the mansion
which were carved by two brothers are very similiar but not identical.
most elaborate and magnificent of all the Jaisalmer havelis. It
has exquisitely carved pillars and extensive corridors and chambers.
One of the apartments of this five storey high haveli is painted
with beautiful murals.
300 year old haveli has beautifully carved arched roof with superb
carved brackets in the form of peacocks. This is a beautiful haveli
The Taragarh palace is reached from the north-western end of the
bazaar, through a huge wooden gateway. Only two parts of the palace,
the Chitra Mahal and Ummed Mahal, are open to the public. Some of
the famous Bundi murals can be seen on the upper level. Photography
Mahal or Palace or Towers (Bundi)
this palace is worth it, for the Hazari Pol or Gate of the thousand,
the Naubat Khana, the Hathi Pol with its old water clock and the
is a magnificient summer palace on the Sukh Mahal Lake surrounded
by lush beautiful gardens.It is believed that an underground tunnel
runs from the Sukh Mahal to the old palace.
Continuing south, you come to Padminiís palace, built beside a large
pool with a pavilion in its centre. Legends relates that, as Padmini
sat in this pavilion, Ala-ud-din was permitted to see her reflection
in a mirror in the palace. This glimpse was the spark that convinced
him to destroy Chittor in order to possess her. The Bronze gates
in this pavilion were carried of by Akbar and can now be seen in
the fort at Agra. Continuing round the circular road, you pass the
deer park, the Bhimlat Tank, the Suraj Pol Gate and the temple of
Neelkanth Mahadev, before reaching the Tower of Fame.
Prakash Palace (Chittorgarh)
beyond the Rana Kumbha palace, this palace is much more modern (Maharana
Fateh Singh died in 1930). It houses a small and poorly lit museum,
and the rest of the building is closed. The museum is open daily
except Friday, from 10 am to 4 pm.
Kumbha Palace (Chittorgarh)
the fort and turning right, you come almost immediately to the ruins
of this palace. It contains elephant and horse stables and a Siva
temple. One of the jauhars is said to have taken palace in a vaulted
cellar. Right across the palace is the archaeological office and
museum, and the treasury building or Nau Lakha Bhandar. The Singa
Chowrl Temple is nearby.